Thursday, November 11, 2010

Play Dates

Why did someone invent this idea? I mean the thought of getting together and being social with people I don't know and probably have nothing in common with while our children play does not appeal to me in any way. I'm not even really into long term socializing with people I like, so the idea of doing it with a complete stranger doesn't appeal to me.

The idea of dropping my kids off at someones home I don't know is even less appealing. Yes, I am jaded, yes I don't trust humanity but you know what, I have reason not to! I've seen the dark side of humanity too many times to NOT be jaded. I've watched kids abuse each other, I've watched parents abuse kids, I've seen what happens on the playground. Do I really want my kids possibly being exposed to more of that? No.

I do not understand why I have to be made to feel like a bad or neglectful parent because I don't like the idea of just dropping my child off with people I don't know. Will I end up doing it, yes. Why? Because it's the "norm" and if I don't then I am a horrible parent. I will hate it, but everyone else will be happy, until something happens to one of our children. Somehow I would probably still be the bad parent though, because I left my kid with someone I didn't know. Modern social ideas for children really suck.

No comments: